Monday, June 4, 2012

Loving your job is like having no job at all

They always say that its best to love the things that your are doing, especially your job. I remember what Morgan Freeman said when he accepted his award, he said that he love acting so much that he never felt acting as his job. And I can say that at this point of my life, I love my JOB!

I started working 2 weeks after I graduated college. I finished Mass communication and I was expected by people around me to work in a media or advertising companies, but I never did. Call center was the "IN" job back then and until now but I never wanted to just have a job for the sake of it. Though, my parents needed financial help from me especially that they actually did they best to send me to a good schools through out my schooling years.

My first interview was from a call center and I did not like it. The business area was a bit far from my house and I really did not like the fuzzy call center job with all the super accented "English". My 2nd interview rang the day after I saw the concert of Avril Lavigne, I was not prepared and I gave a time that I think the interviewer will reschedule me, but then she said she will wait for me to come so it was such a bummer. But then I signed the contract that day its not a call center job but customer service something, with all the fuzz from the concert I wasn't that sure what I signed. :)

Anyway, I worked as a customer service agent for chat and email for around 2 years before I got my first promotion. I was appointed to be a trainer but then I was given the English Customer Supervisor job for the new English account. This point of my career I learned a lot. I did what I can and learn from people around me as much as I can. I experience all ups and downs and deal with a lot of people and even culture wise since most of my bosses were expat.

A few years after, I was given the Managerial potion that then again gave me a lot of challenges. I was like a dog being eaten alive by sharks and running a 24/7 operation is not easy. I should be able to answer my phone any time and anywhere. I was working my ass off working around 12 to 17 hours a day. I faced a lot of bossy, discriminative and people who are using their powers but I also met people who has patience and the will to let me learn. I never regret a day because I will never recognize a good company if I never experienced a hard one.

Leaving my first job and my company for 6 years was one of the hardest decision in my life but also the best. I rested for 2 months and became an writer for websites, it was a home based work but I really enjoyed it as well, I love writing but then my calling rang my bell. I need to be part of something to be able to feel the fulfillment of having a job.

I never stop listening and learning, my goal is to learn and be good in what I do. And I do believe that handling people is the hardest job as I am expose to different attitude and skills. You can always reboot a computer but you cannot reboot a person.

I've been mentoring and trying my best to flourish people for more than 6 years now and I can say that this is the best Job ever!  Having the best job doesn't mean having the easiest one. For me, its about the learning's. I am very happy when I see my subordinate being good and excelling in what they do. I always tell them that they should believe in themselves as I believed in them.

I applied for a Marketing position instead of pursuing my managerial experience, i was thinking to rest from handling people but i knew this is me. My faith is to be able to guide people and here I am Managing my team and I am loving this job. My heart is full of fulfillment especially when they appreciate how I took care and tried to teach them. This is the best job for me because handling people made me way better person and fulfilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment